Malgorzata Sypien, M.D., FAAFP, Integrative Family Practice, Chicago IL
Feeling tired, fat or just under the weather?? You may be surprised at the cause!
Many individuals focus on healthy eating and vigorous exercise as part of their daily routine. Some may eat organic food or prepare healthy homemade meals from scratch. This path to wellness is in fact what medical professionals may subscribe. With this healthy formula how could some patients feel sick, tired or that they just can’t lose weight? You may be surprised to know that food allergies, sensitivities or intolerance could in fact be the underlying cause to these symptoms.
Most people believe that being healthy is the absence of disease. Many feel that the true definition of health is a state of feeling good, having energy, having a positive mindset, and being whole in body, mind and spirit. These things can be dramatically affected by the foods we consume, so it is wise to consider some of these thoughts about nutrition and allergic reactions to the foods that we put in to our bodies.
- The characteristics of good health should occur when your body’s chemistry is in balance, cells are nourished, and the right nutrients are being properly absorbed.
- Individuals are unique as there is no other person on the planet exactly like you. Since we all are chemically unique we must meet our individual unique needs to realize our true potential. Matching the right diet to your unique needs can and will make you feel on top of your game.
- It sounds strange, but you can be allergic to healthy foods. Typically foods are classified as “healthy” based on the nutrients they contain. While some people may thrive on these healthy nutrients others may become sick, tired or just can’t lose weight due to allergic reactions from the nutrients they consume.
- When an individual is allergic to certain foods, the negative reaction can be almost instantaneous and the effects of these foods will most likely be felt within 2 hours to 3 days of consuming certain foods.
- Hidden food allergies have become very prevalent in our society due to the way foods are processed and may cause weight gain, migraines, digestive disruption, arthritis, fatigue, skin disorders and many more ailments you may never have associated with food.
- Allergies or Intolerance? - Food allergies typically result in an immediate physical reaction such as swelling, hives, or closing of the airways, while food Intolerances may surface anywhere from three hours to three days after consuming the offending food.
- Testing vs. elimination diets – Elimination diets involve removing certain foods from your diet a few weeks at a time to see if they make a difference in how you look and feel. Dr. Sypien offers a unique blood test to determine what foods are challenging your immune system. This test can target up to 200 different foods to determine your immune response. The strength of the response reveals if you have a severe, moderate or mild sensitivity to all or none of those foods. Imagine how long it would take to test that many foods on an elimination diet!
Overall “health” is important to each and every one of us. The foods we put in our bodies have a distinct effect on how we look and feel as we are all unique individuals with very different body chemistries. Don’t take for granted that a food industry expert says that a certain food is generally good for you as they simply can’t understand each or our unique differences. A simple change in your diet can make all the difference.
Call Dr. Sypien today and get your health on track with a simple food sensitivity blood test that can reveal your hidden immune response to certain foods. The doctor will analyze the results and provide specific dietary guidelines to help you look better, feel better and lose weight! Call today (773) 205-2555 and make that positive change!